Information found on this page:
- 1 What are RSS feeds?
- 2 A list of RSS Feed readers
- 3 1. Create RSS Feeds To Syndicate Your Content
- 4 2. Use RSS Feeds to Promote Your Content
- 5 3. Making an RSS Feed Widget
- 6 4. RSS Feeds and SEO and Blogger Blogs
- 7 5. RSS Feeds In Weebly
For a long time RSS feeds had me mystified, how do they work, why do they work, why should I care about them and then I discovered some pretty fancy things you can do with RSS feeds beyond keeping track of information you are personally interested in. Personally I suspect, though am not certain, that search engines are a form of rss feed system.
RSS feeds allow you to put original content on your site fed directly from another website. I allows your readers access to more information that they might find useful and it is a good way to connect your other properties together building a strong backlinking circuit.
What are RSS feeds?
RSS stands for Real Simple Syndication – though that isn’t necessarily true if you talk to most people in the real world out there. Basically what it does is allows a reader to pull information from a blog, video, website, Pinterest board and enter the headlines, description and a picture (or not) into a reader source. The reader source could be a blog, a web 2.0 site or simply a reader like:
A list of RSS Feed readers
1. Create RSS Feeds To Syndicate Your Content
For the most part to create a website feed for our blog or site you can usually just take the website name, like http://jillehart.com/feed and the feed reader will pick it up. This is what it looks like if you enter this into a reader:
I put this short video together to explain how to make RSS feeds for Pinterest Boards you will need this information for several of these strategies.
YouTube Feeds are made by using the following code and entering in your ID’s in the appropriate places:
For your channel feed: http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/THIS-IS-YOUR-CHANNEL-CODE/uploads
The code for my channel is: http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/UCoAhyU-El3cGyar5PFm_RFQ/uploads
For your individual video feeds http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/THIS-IS-YOUR-CHANNEL-CODE/uploads?orderby=updated&vq=THE NAME OF YOUR VIDEO
Here is a feed for the video above:
http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/UCoAhyU-El3cGyar5PFm_RFQ/uploads?orderby=updated&vq=How To Make A Pinterest Board RSS Feed
Be sure to check your feeds at http://feedvalidator.org to ensure that you don’t have any errors
2. Use RSS Feeds to Promote Your Content
Now that we know how to make our RSS feeds what you can do with those feeds is to submit them to free RSS feed submission sites to build backlinks to your site.
- Backlinks are one of the most important factors in your search engine ranking and you can gain many of them by using RSS feeds for backlinks.
- This is a great way to boost your ranking and also to create a ton of backlinks in a hurry.
- Many have used this type of method to make their website rank higher in Google and other search engines.
- The best part about using RSS feeds for backlinks is that you can create backlinks to more than just one website or article with one RSS feed.
- If you have an RSS feed that contains 10 different posts that you have made to your blog, and then you can gain a backlink to each one of those posts every single time you submit that RSS feed somewhere.
3. Making an RSS Feed Widget
This is a feed from my Pinterest Board “Online Marketing For Beginners”
4. RSS Feeds and SEO and Blogger Blogs
Google loves Blogger and YouTube because, well, they own them! They also own Google Plus and do interesting things with hashtags which I will address in a later blog. It is very simple to add the code for your RSS widget to a blogger blog. This will add new content every time your blog is open. You can add feeds that sport your latest pins, videos, articles from your blogs or even blogs that your readers would find interesting.
How to add an RSS Feed For Your Blogger Blog That Scrolls and Has Pictures
5. RSS Feeds In Weebly
Connecting your sites to videos, web 2.0 sites, Pinterest and other social media sites using RSS feeds helps build backlinks and authority for your site. Don’t forget to submit your feeds from all of these extra places to the RSS feed submission sites.