Information found on this page:
Periscope is the latest app available on both android and IOS platforms. It will become the next “big” thing like Instagram and like Instagram and Pinterest there will be money to be made with this platform. Now is the time to learn how to use Periscope and start adding followers and getting hearts.
Periscope allows us to explore the world through someone else’s eyes – and let others see the world through your own. Where before we just got to hear and see pictures of what’s for breakfast, now we can live moment by moment with others. It can be the ultimate in virtual friends hanging out together though apart. It can also be a tremendous tool for teaching and sharing information. Not a whole lot different than SnapChat in that the videos you make don’t last more than 24 hours.
Here is a little background on Periscope before we move onto the tips
To begin with this is a smart phone based app, you can’t do it from your desktop or laptop. It is connected to Twitter so hashtags are important. And it is bandwidth intensive so unless you want to suck up your data plan fast, be wary of using this platform in places where there is tentative WIFI.
To get started with Periscope
- Download the app to your phone (okay you probably already knew that but it doesn’t hurt to start at the beginning right?)
- Then set up your account with your phone number or twitter account. You can have multiple Twitter accounts connected but only one Periscope account and you probably want to use your real name or brand.
- Tap on the People icon, then on the head in the circle icon to set up your profile. Your username can be different from your Twitter account name, and while you can uninstall Periscope if you decide to change your mind about the username, you will be starting over so choose wisely.
Anna Hoffman does a great job of explaining how to set up your Periscope account on an Android here.
And Steve Dotto walks us through getting set up here in this DottoTech video:
Now onto the tips on how to use Periscope
- Create a catchy title – do this before you hit the broadcast button. The title should include hashtags and emojies. Because this will be searchable on Twitter hashtags are a very powerful way to get found. Emojies are a great way to catch attention of potential viewers. You can download an emojies app from the Playstore if you don’t have them already on your keyboard (which I did not with my Samsung Galaxy 4 phone).
- Make sure that your background says what you want it to say about you. Grooming is important. (Sigh, gone are the days when I can hang around in my sweats all day)
- Make sure that when you hit the broadcast button the back of your phone is pointing towards what you want to record and that that something is bright and colorful. Then tap the screen to switch the camera view towards the front of the screen.
- If you are recording outside and not confidently within WIFI range you need to make sure you have your streaming data turned on.
- Greet people as they hop on your broadcast, don’t just set the phone down and wait, start talking and interacting right away
- Make sure that you have an outline of what you want to cover
- Ask questions – interacting with those on the broadcast is important. While you are talking you have to multitask because there will be questions flowing by at the same time and you can’t really go back and see those questions once they have streamed past.
- Give great value
- Interact with people as they join the broadcast and/or message you
- Introduce yourself several times through out the broadcast
- Ask for hearts – and let them know that it helps to get your broadcast ranked
- Ask for them to follow you
- Ask them to share this broadcast with their followers on Twitter
- As Nike says, Just Do It! You can always get better and if you really feel that you must practice first either make the Periscope private or do a couple practice ones then delete Periscope from your phone and reinstall. Probably practicing privately would be the best way.
Periscope offers so many options for growing a brand or business! It is fun and let’s you experience life in real time in other places in the world.